Years ago I recall looking at the DC/Marvel characters, I found the following hero archetypes, almost akin to character classes you find in most RPGs. I’m sharing this list for the sake of posterity and hopefully for some utility.
– Accidental origin: A single or combination of events that culminate in the non-chosen attainment of superpowers. Examples: Flash, Spiderman, Hulk, Fantastic Four.
– Alien origin: Essentially a hero not of human origin that possesses super powers. Examples: Superman, Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Namor the Submariner.
– Bestowed origin: Essentially a human who is given super powers by a higher, more powerful force. Examples: Green Lantern, Dr. Fate, CaptainMarvel, Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, Scarlet Witch.
– Creation origin: Essentially those sentient beings either intentionally exposed to superpowers or created. Examples: Captain America, Vision.
– Demigod origin: Essentially a minor god who becomes active in human affairs. Examples: Thor, Hercules.
– Disciplined origin: Essentially those humans who train their bodies to become exceptional in the martial arts. Examples: Batman, Nightwing,Green Arrow, Wildcat and many of the heroes of the JSA, Black Panther,
– Gadgeteer origin: Essentially those humans create or come to possess one or more items of power. Examples: HQ and Weapons of Batman, Utilities of Nightwing, Arrows of Green Arrow, Starwand of Starman,
Webshooters of Spiderman, Shield of Captain America, Body armor of Ironman.
– Mutant origin: Essentially those humans born with an unexplained mutant gene that grants them exceptional powers. Examples: All of the X-Men.
Of course some heroes can be a combination of two origins: Batman, Nightwing, Green Arrow among others are examples of Discipline/Gadgeteer combined origins while Spiderman would of Accident/Gadgeteer origin.