I have worked in health care for the past fifteen years. I have seen at least over a thousand clients and as a professional case manager, my job is to help facilitate a portion of their care.
It recently occurred to me that despite the vast array and variety of diseases, accidents, and disabilities these individuals may have what appears to be five general / macro methods that sickness and disability is visited upon us.
1) We are born with it through our genetics such as Muscular Dystrophy, Cystic Fibrosis, etc.
2) We suffer an unfortunate physical event such an Accident, Assault, or Attack. It could be a car accident, an injury suffered at birth like Cerebral Palsy, or we could be attacked and injured by a mugger.
3) We suffer a random or complex microbe event that attacks us such as Bacteria, Virus, or Spore.
4) We suffer from a confused immunity system such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Cancer, or Lupus.
5) We self inflict our own unhappiness and injury such as through a failed suicide attempt, alcoholism, smoking, etc.
So what is the point of sharing something so depressing? I am not sure, but it just seemed interesting to me, and maybe it will be interesting to somebody else out there. Maybe by seeing that there are macro families of things that make us sick and disabled, we can see new connections that may lead to ways to better cope with what we suffer with.